Frequently Asked Questions
If you can't find the answer here to any questions you may have, or if you would like to talk to one of our friendly team members please contact us: -
Phone: +64 3 315 0000
Freephone (within NZ only): 0800 442 663
Hours: Open 7 days (except Christmas Day), 10am - 9pm
What days are you open?
- The Thermal Pools are open daily from 10am to 9pm, even if its raining!
- We are even open every public holiday except Christmas Day when all our facilities are closed.
- The Spa at Hanmer Springs, our massage and beauty facility, is open daily from 10am to 7pm.
Where are the Thermal Pools?
- The Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa is located on the corner of Jacks Pass Road & Amuri Avenue. Entrance to the complex is at 42 Amuri Avenue, Hanmer Springs.
- Car parking is available on the streets surrounding the Thermal Pools.
- Alternatively you can leave your car at your accommodation as the pools are located within a 5-10 minute easy walk from most accommodation.
Can I hire swimsuits or shorts?
Are towels included?
Do I need to book to use the Thermal Pools?
- No you don’t need to pre-book to use the pools unless you are wishing to use a Private Thermal Pool.
- Booking a Private Thermal Pool can be done on arrival at reception, or by calling 0064 3 315 0000. There is a minimum 2 persons per booking and includes complimentary use of the outdoor pools.
Do we need to make a booking for treatments ie facial, massage and/or body treatment?
- We highly recommend bookings for any treatments at The Spa.
- To make a booking you can contact The Spa at Hanmer Springs on phone: 0064 3 315 0029 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Group bookings need to be pre-arranged to receive entry discount. Also it allows us to have enough staff available and prepared for your group's arrival.
- See the price lists page >>
Does the admission include access to all the pools? and how long can I visit the Thermal Pools?
- Yes. The only additional costs would be if you hired a private thermal pool or if you want to ride the waterslides or SuperBowl.
- You can stay in the complex for as long as you wish. If you would like to visit the pools twice in one day you should consider purchasing a return entry pass.
What age is a child? What age is a senior?
- A child is 3-15 years old.
- A senior is 60 years and over.
Rules for children under 5
- Actively supervise children at all times.
- Poolsafe requires all children under 8 years to be actively supervised at all times by a responsible caregiver.
- Children under 5 years must be within arm's reach at all times.
- Children 5-7 years must be in visual contact and close enough to give immediate assistance at all times.
- A responsible caregiver is defined as someone aged 16 years or older.
Is there a price for students?
- Sorry we don't have a separate price for students.
Are there secure lockers at the Thermal Pools?
- Yes - secure lockers are available on the complex and cost $2.00 for two hours.
- Instructions on locker use are provided at the lockers.
Are there changing rooms? Do the changing rooms have showers?
- Yes - there are separate female and male changing rooms.
- There is also limited family changing rooms available (no showers).
- Yes - there are showers available in each changing rooms at no additional cost.
Is there wheelchair access to the pools and changing rooms?
- Yes - we have good wheelchair access around the complex including a wheelchair ramp access on one pool and there are aqua chair/lifts available on many of the pools. Accessible changing rooms are available.
Are there BBQ's available for us to use in the complex?
- Sorry we don’t have any BBQ’s available in the complex for use.
Can I take my own food or picnic into the Thermal Pools?
- Yes feel free to bring your own lunch or picnic with you. But you won’t be able to bring your own BBQ and all drinks must be in unbreakable containers.
- Alternatively an extensive menu is available on site at the Garden House Café.
I'm pregnant, is it safe to use the pools?
- Care needs to be taken not to become overheated and regular hydration is recommended.
What temperature are the pools?
- Fresh water lap pool: 28°
- Family activity area (fresh water): 29°
- 3 Sulphur pools: 40-42°
- 9 open air Thermal pools: 33-40°
Are the sulphur pools suitable for children under 2 years of age?
- We suggest that children under 2 spend time in the cooler pools of the complex (up to 37 degrees). This does not include the sulphur or hexagonal pools.
Do you add any other chemicals such as chlorine into the pools?
- Our sulphur pools contain untreated thermal water, while our other pools contain either filtered and treated thermal water or treated freshwater. As part of the filtering and treatment process chlorine is added.
Will the thermal water or sulphur pools discolour my swimsuit?
- No, although our thermal water is abrasive and long term exposure can cause wear. Thermal water will discolour jewellery so all jewellery should be removed before bathing.
What are the benefits of the water?
- The thermal waters are full of minerals that can help your body repair and rejuvenate. Being in the water increases the flow of oxygen-rich blood throughout the body, nourishing vital organs and tissues. The increased temperature of the water can help stimulate your immune system. Mineral springs contain high amounts of negative ions, which help promote wonderful feelings of physical well-being.
Other Activities in Hanmer Springs
Distance from Christchurch
- Hanmer Springs is 90 minutes drive from Christchurch or Kaikoura or 3 hrs drive from Greymouth.
How do I get to the Thermal Pools if I don’t have a car?
- The Hanmer Connection shuttle service travels to Hanmer Springs from Christchurch on a daily basis, departing Christchurch at 9am. The return trip to Christchurch leaves at 4.30pm.
- Hanmer Tours & Shuttle depart Christchurch at 11.30am & 8pm and Hanmer Springs at 8am & 6pm daily.
- The above services take approx 2 hour each way. .
- There is a BNZ bank located in the Hanmer Springs i-SITE Visitor Centre and is open from 10am to 2pm. There is also a 24 hr ATM machine located at the Four Square Supermarket on Conical Hill Road.